Mad Max

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by eightnine, Sep 4, 2015.

1. eightnine

eightnine Active Member

So, I picked this title up on sale (3rd party) for Steam the other day and I thought I'd share some of my opinions of it since I know some of you have expressed an interest in it. My one line review: Mad Max inelegantly smashes together several well known game mechanics into a beautifully created brown box world that grows stale relatively quickly.

What?! Really, eightnine?! Yea, I mean, I'm not too far into the game and I'm already kind of bored. Haha. I have about three hours of time put into it. I feel like I'm Nathan Drake, who fights like Batman if he were a bar brawler in an emptied out Assassin Creed world (no free running, though) following a Far Cry plot line. Basically, you start out with everything, it gets taken away and you have to start all over again.

I'm only in three hours. Basically, it seems to boil down to finding scrap material to upgrade your car, ram some other cars, go to the enemy base and kill A, blow up B or save C. Scrap material is literally everywhere, so naturally the game only gives you a few bits for every pile you pick up and your upgrades start at several hundred bits each.(prepare for some grinding) Combat is very much like Batman except a little slower feeling. He's not the dark knight and doesn't flow that well through it. There's zero stealth mechanic. Zero. Post apocalyptic and no stealth. There also doesn't seem to be any kind of cover mechanic for shooting or even a crouch.

Collecting water and eating food you find on the ground restores your health. You literally should never die unless you did something dumb. Your car requires gas that you have to go out into the world and find, but there are jerry cans flippin' everywhere. And it uses gas like a hybrid, so you probably won't be running out very often.

I dunno. It has some things in it that I think are kind of neat and for the $20 I paid for it, I'm not pissed about it, but if I would have paid full retail, I think I'd be annoyed. Maybe I've just reached the end of life for these open world sandbox objectives based games.

So. Did any of you try it yet? What do you think?