Creative Increased Designer Standards

Discussion in 'Creative Server Suggestions' started by imme, Mar 30, 2014.

1. imme

imme Well Known Member

I recommend that the OS's hold designer applications to a higher standard. By this I mean looking more for detail and size. While we have 125x125 plots, I think designer plots should be more comparable to architect builds on the survival server. Yes, you can't build as big but the plot sizes are not at all an issue. 125x125 is more than enough to make a exceptional build! I feel like designer has become this sort of thing that is now easily obtainable and people don't take it a seriously as they used to when there weren't as many designers. I am not saying that anybody should LOSE their designer rank, this is just a suggestion for the future. There are just too many rushed designer builds. Notice on survival how many architect apps get pushed away simply because the build was rushed and built in less than a month? There are designer builds that took less than a week, which shouldn't be the case because we are in creative mode and we have so many resources to build with.

Designer ranks are now more common than constructors which I think is not a great thing.

I just propose that the OS's may consider (in the future) looking for more out of a designer build.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. FillWerrel

FillWerrel Survival Staff
    Staff Member Newshound

I agree, I feel that the rank may be being handed out a tiny bit too loosely, but it still promotes good builds on the server and still is a treasured rank, so I digress. Maybe the standards for the rank can be heighted through an even higher rank from designer later in the time to come.

3. Hail_a3

Hail_a3 Stars of the Forums

I disagree. I think good builds should be rewarded with the rank, and the fact that some take 1 week has a lot to do with it being creative - meaning no funding issues, fly, superbreak, unlimited resources...

I've not seen a build so far that I think shouldn't get it. Pay attention to detail, no matter how big or how small. Good builds don't have to be bloody and sweaty.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  4. imme

imme Well Known Member

Don't you think that there has to be a "too small" line drawn somewhere though?

The smaller builds are, the easier it becomes to add detail. Larger builds are hard to make more detailed

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Hail_a3

Hail_a3 Stars of the Forums

Of course, but that all goes into the build. Absolutely players should use the full plot, but the main build doesn't have to be 75x75. Ricio's build was a perfect example. The ocean had so much detail just on the floor!

Details are great, but builds can only be as detailed as the person envisioned them to be. Too much detail can take away from a build. All about balance. At the end of the day, you have to ask yourself "is this build good, or is this build bad?" Don't allow yourself to disapprove of something because it isn't as good as it could have been. There are always improvements to be made. Just look at my cathedral for example... 1.5 years later, i'm still doing touch ups.

EDIT: Obviously I didn't say "all" details are bad. And maybe details is the wrong word. I feel if you add too much to a build, it becomes cluttered, and that isn't good.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Cookie Cookie x 1
  6. watkinni1

watkinni1 Active Member

Now wait wait wait. I think you misinterpret designer. It is not that exclusive. It started as a prize for those contests which were extremely easy to win. I mean, you yourself imme were just given designer without applying. It isn't supposed to be incredibly hard to get like architect on survival. If also like to bring up the fact that a new rank is coming out. I speculate that architect will be a step up from designer and be much more like architect on survival. You will probably have to build something over the top amazing and have os's vote. (Speculation).

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. imme

imme Well Known Member

I think you made the best point

The new rank coming out is Engineer and it's for redstone work and big minecart builds

I didn't know there was an architect rank coming out. That is basically what I was looking for designer to be but I realize now that there will be a rank above designer

8. Natbyte

Natbyte Overseer

Two new ranks are coming they are Engineer, and Architect. The level of build detail and form required for Architect will be set a a very high level, as you noted and will be similar in nature of build standards to the Architect on survival.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dzyriq

Dzyriq Just another humble Overseer

To be very honest Designer was never super hard to get. It is all about impressing one or more OS's. And it is not only size that matters. These are some things I look at when I look at a designer build:

• Build detail
    • How well you use the plot
    • Does the rest of the plot fit with the theme
    • Does it feel real / alive?
    • Ingenious ideas
    • Humor
    • Does this plot awaken my curiosity??
    • Efficent use of the space with in the structures

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. stanky2

stanky2 Overseer

My idea for designer was impossibly hard - and I was OK with that because it was the only other rank on the server one could obtain. But with more ranks coming up, and new perks being spread all around - we should USE those ranks and not make them so rare that only 3 out of 200 people can actually enjoy them.

So I went from being a complete snob about build specs to "Say this is pretty damn nice, I never would have thought of it, he obviously did some work on it and thought it out, and hey that is a clever way to express that idea - he can have the rank..."

• Like Like x 3
  11. Legopossible

Legopossible Active Member

I see a small issue here, wouldn't having two ranks named architect on the server get really confusing really quickly? In fact I've already had a misunderstaning or two in chat today. :/

12. Natbyte

Natbyte Overseer

Not so much, firstly all servers are separate and unconnected, secondly once survival refreshes it may not even have the rank titled architect, so nothing to worry about.

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. watkinni1

watkinni1 Active Member

:(

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. xX_Ricio_Xx

xX_Ricio_Xx Active Member

Im guessing everyone on H41L's post disagreed about my build :(

15. Dzyriq

Dzyriq Just another humble Overseer

My thoughts about this matter is that Architect on both servers is gained in the same way and has the same standard in build quality and that it is earned per server. However this clearly not decided by any means and has not even arrived on the drawing table.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. imme

imme Well Known Member

I was going to dispose of this thread because of the heated debates, but it provides a lot of good insight into certain ranks, so he can stay

• Like Like x 1
  17. Pinecone

Pinecone Active Member

Since the Architect rank on creative is coming out, I think designer standards should stay the same. Engineer will be the same as designer except having to do with redstone, roller coasters, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Legopossible

Legopossible Active Member

And Architect will just have swag and be better than everyone else. xD

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Wizard Wizard x 1
  19. xariaxx

xariaxx Creative Staff
    Staff Member

Yes, I mean, if you got Designer, then you got it for a reason. I'd like to think that Architect standards are held higher; to push us to go bigger, better, and badder. It forces you to think differently than you usually do, since I don't think you can just add a flower to your Designer build and call it a day. Sounds like a nice challenge! :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. xX_Ricio_Xx

xX_Ricio_Xx Active Member

Xaria couldn't have said it better :3

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1