How to defend yourself from "Hackers"

Discussion in 'Minecraft Server Tutorials' started by BC519, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Kenny

Kenny Well Known Member

I have had issues with norton, so I gave up. Id rather go through registry and clean up that way than let norton on my system, lol.

2. Hail_a3

Hail_a3 Stars of the Forums

I've never seen an Anti-Virus as a means to fix problems, but more of a prevention. I use Spybot and Malwarebytes to fix mistakes.

3. Kenny

Kenny Well Known Member

thats the only reason I use them, to prevent. however I dont go randomnly clicking all these ads and links and pr0n sites either lol.

4. Brayneeah360

Brayneeah360 Well Known Member

norton is the WORST anti-virus software ever. the head of the western australian computer crime police force says it isn't that good.

5. Norton is a good clean up, not for defence tho...

6. Brayneeah360

7. Hail_a3

Who listens to the Western Australia Computer Crime Police Force?

Norton is hated because it is a big corporation. I've been using it for 2 years now, and I've never had an issue besides being a memory hog (but when you have 8gb of RAM on a laptop, it doesn't really matter). I've never once had a virus of any kind. Norton does its job, which is to actively scan for database viruses. Something got deleted that was important to you? You either shouldn't have downloaded it, or you should check to make sure whatever is found actually IS a virus.

If your only method of cleaning a disk after Spyware/Virus is Norton, you are in bad shape (and you bring your pc/laptop to people like me who charge $100 to clean it/fix it in about 30 min.).

The best way to avoid malware is to be a conscious and smart internet user. Just because you are on the internet doesn't mean you have to act stupid.

My ONLY point in all of this: I get the full version of Norton Security Suite for FREE! It has a good interface (so morons who use my computer can perform a scan without much knowledge of computers), updates its database constantly (which is why it is such a memory hog), and it actually does a good job of catching suspicious files (which I have to approve before it deletes). I can understand if you have personally used a program and find quirks about it that you don't like (like McAffee deciding to delete an important registry file!), but don't just post random crap you find on the internet. I don't care what other agencies say, it works. I really don't care much for posts regarding what you read/heard from someone else. You only waste my time and your own for thinking I am going to heed whatever you wrote. Even more so if you have barely entered high school. It might be the cool thing today to "stick it to the man," and fight the big corporations, but when your argument is simply "I don't like it because soandso said it was the WORST" (worst? really, the WORST?), your argument is invalid due to a lack of foundation.

• Like Like x 2
  8. BC519

BC519 Active Member

Not sure if that comment was directed at me but all my posts regarding Norton anti-virus have been about personal experiences with that particular company as well as with McAfee. I prefer kaspersky when it comes to anti-viruses. However I do not rely on anti-viruses because I know you can obfuscate the code and make it so the top anti-viruses cannot detect it.

Maintaining a strict line of defense is the only way to protect your computer.

Remember the phrase, Keep it simple, stupid.

Redundancy is great. Routine is better.

9. Hail_a3

no... not directed at you... look above.

10. AlfonzoAKO

AlfonzoAKO Member

Truth of the day(Yes. I know. Hasnt been posted on in a few months)
    MalWareBytes is good, but the virus comes back 1 to 2 weeks time, just a program to make it so if its really bad, you can fully redo the computer.
    Used it on my computer, (virus=1, malwarebytes=0), week later, it came back(virus=2, malwarebytes=0) went into registry, deleted it(virus=2,malwarebytes=0,Alfonzo=10(Deleted 10 viruses, lol) )

11. DarkMagician6

DarkMagician6 Active Member

I don't use a antivirus because I know how to prevent getting virusses and I don't care if I need to reinstall my laptop. But if I would use a virus scanner I would choose Microsoft security essentials. (Yes I hate M$) But it's antivirus is actually good, it is 100% free and it will NEVER ask for your money. It is also very lightweight and got very good detection rates for a free virus scanner.

12. Marshall

Marshall Survival Staff

Thanks this really helped me.

• Like Like x 1
  13. FillWerrel

FillWerrel Survival Staff
    Staff Member Newshound

Just think smart guys, that's the best way to keep unwanted people out of your account.
    - Make your password something long and full of letters and numbers.
    - Be sure you are the ONLY one that can access your account, change your password monthly.
    -Don't go to servers that are advertised by unknown people on our server chat.
    - Use some form of anti-virus software.

14. scotch222

scotch222 Well Known Member

Just as a update, there are about 1,100 symbol characters on a computer that are possible, meaning if you use just !!! in your password you add another 1.3 billion over all tries a computer has to do if someone tries to force crack your password.

15. BC519

BC519 Active Member

Passwords normally consist of words. If you were allowed to use whatever characters you want !!! would be fine. However most things you sign up for require letters and numbers only.

Most bruteforce attacks are really dictionary attacks anyways. Uses common words like password1234(someones real password unfortunately. No hope for humanity.)

16. my school computer pass was iberrylolwtf123333

17. HarryTurney

HarryTurney Forum Legend

18. Brayneeah360

My school computer password (primary school) was gr4ht5y6 :p try and guess where that comes from.

19. BC519

BC519 Active Member

Lol my first password was terrible like lukeskywalker519
    5-19 being my birthday ofc

20. Lego90210

Lego90210 Active Member

My Experience with Norton
    I have used Norton for the past 7 months because my cable provider sponsors them, therefore you have the option to having up to 6 protected computers. So far the program has worked well for me, and has gotten rid of many virus threats that tried to break through my firewall. We also got a new router that now jumbles my computer's IP address around so I am even better protected, mainly from some person that threatened to hack my computer and attempt to destroy it in early July. I even got to thinking about how else I could protect myself from a virus attack, even with Norton in place to remove any threat planted on my computer. I too had my share of small virus problems, but I had the tools to dispatch these problems.

Now for the Hackers
    Like many people, they think the term "Hacker" is a criminal who breaks into databases to obtain information by forceful apprehension of the information. In most cases, this is not what a hacker is. A hacker is someone who is able to program his way into a system; so far in my research have found three kinds of hacker classifications.

First you have white-hat hacking- a hacker who's soul purpose is to hack a designated database and jot down notes on how the database can become immune, or patched, to be more resistant to hackers with more devious plans.

Second you have grey-hat hacking- Hacking done by individuals who do a little bit of both letting a database or server know of what their vulnerabilities are, but will also take information, but usually not for their personal gain. A hacking "group" call Anonymous has been known for protesting websites by DDoS or defacing their pages, not for personal gain, but to provide a point that people deserve to know the truth by leaking information on outside websites.

The last type of hacking is called black-hat hacking- Where a hacker will hack a database to gain information for their own personal gain, and/or to aid them in malicious attempts to take over multiple servers and individual computer units. These are the hackers that agencies like the FBI and even detectives in the private sector watch for, and find evidence to put them away to where they can't do any more damage.

• Like Like x 1