Hololens

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by Code_Blue, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Code_Blue

Code_Blue Member

Click that video to see a demo of it.

Hololens is a cool piece of tech that enables you to see your minecraft world and anything anywhere you want it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Unearth

Unearth New Member

Very gimmicky, but really fucking cool regardless.

3. Lego90210

Lego90210 Active Member

I'll stick to my LED screen, I have enough headaches as it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Code_Blue

Code_Blue Member

1. An unnamed Microsoft executive told the New York Times that the HoloLens would cost “significantly more” than a gaming console. Current game console prices for systems like PlayStation 4, Wii U, and Xbox One range from about $300 to $500.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Code_Blue

Code_Blue Member

Significantly= $5,000 USD

6. Lego90210

Lego90210 Active Member

Oculous Rift is around the same price, maybe more. Also most games and software rarely support the platform. You have to go with specific software if you want this to work, otherwise it's just the same as holding a small monitor close to your eyes. Not to mention the VR software that is out is just very basic, very little game-play and only works a percentage of the time. In my house this would just be a $5k paper weight.

7. Legopossible

Legopossible Active Member

I can assume by other recent 'innovative' products that it's not going to work very well
    It seems to advanced to be true, and it probably is
    Even if it did work it probably wouldn't serve any purpose besides bragging rights

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Wrathyio

Wrathyio Active Member

I agree. You could see that his "lightning strikes" seemed misplaced, and I'm sure that this was someone who had been practicing over and over with this technology for the big demo. Touch screens used to be much more difficult to manipulate than they are today. Nowadays, anyone can use a touch screen. Holograms, I feel, are going to take even longer to become manipulable, especially since holograms still seem so "out there." One thing that I think would be cool, even if it is just a gimmick, is if Microsoft could figure out a way to incorporate haptic feedback for "touching" blocks. Not a lousy vibration, but one that actually feels like you're touching something by using ultrasound or something of the sort.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Lego90210

Lego90210 Active Member

There's some areas in the medical field that do something like this, but the tech is used for amputees and the devices are wired near or directly to the neurological system. The result is feeling in the finger tips as if they still had their own fingers. That would be cool, touch dirt you get a cool, moist sensation: sand, a rough and grainy: stone, rough and hard: and so on. Can't wait to see what bio-metrics can come up with for the common user.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wrathyio

Wrathyio Active Member

Wow, I had no idea that scientists have found ways to target and manipulate the parts of the brain that allow sensations to be felt. Most interestingly for sensations like wetness and coarseness. While it would be awesome to feel different textures for different blocks, I was thinking more about a simple "something is in the way of your finger moving any further" feedback. This requires a less intricate solution, which I read an article on a while back. It was a holographic sphere created with ultrasound (if I recall correctly) that you could feel. I'll try to find that article sometime and post it if anyone's interested.

11. Lego90210

Lego90210 Active Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. FillWerrel

FillWerrel Survival Staff
    Staff Member Newshound

I don't thing anything like that will be implemented here soon. If it is not perfected in the medical field, you won't see it in a video game "toy".

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Lego90210

Lego90210 Active Member

Exactly, it's a technology that still needs a lot of time to evolve. So far what they have is just basic.

14. Exavious

Exavious Forum Legend

No more picking up cacti, lava, or rotten flesh.... D:

• Funny Funny x 2