Expansion Of Server Ranks - Part 2: Why I Love Serversigns

Discussion in 'News / Server Information' started by BSPiotr_backup, May 13, 2015.

1. BSPiotr_backup

BSPiotr_backup Overseer

Welcome to another edition of our own dev diary where we continue talking about efforts of expanding the server ranks.

Just a quick and short one for today, with the announcement of the opening of the Manager rank - step 2 in the Economists. They require 5K and 16 of each wool but get 2 trails, free auction fee/taxes, and 20% discounts on any portals they open at spawn. Plus they grow into mayors!

Mayors:
    We were stuck trying to make everything work perfectly with this rank; problems included:
    We can't give anyone more claimblocks/hr (VIP)
    We do not want to have a "buy claimblocks" economy (tends to lead to poor gameplay)
    We want to avoid the problems seen at the beginning of the map (what about unregioned areas?)

So we're doing something in between for this rank. These things are not final, but expect to gain extra claimblocks while you are a mayor (a bonus to your total, not per hour). We are thinking north of 20K claimblocks, easily allowing a mayor to add a 100x100+ area to their existing plans. In addition, Mayors will be able to do something we experimented 2 maps ago - custom rules boards. Once your rules board is approved, it is locked down, but you can enforce rules in your town pretty heavily (still subject to a minimum of 2 weeks for evictions, but not anything like reavers). Any iron fisting will probably be met with player resistance faster than admin interaction, which is really the best thing.

In addition, work towards artists is almost complete as well, with a few specific things in mind:
    the addition of designers -- similar as creative, good builds and you wont get much other than a color BUT
    Reavers can only be upgraded from designers. We want to make sure you can build before you destroy, especially since destruction nets you items and can net you gold, and is much more intensive in admin interaction than in prior maps (in terms of commands).

Finally, expect a nerf to architects commands.

• Like Like x 7
  2. Exavious

Exavious Forum Legend

Hi, I logged on today to play with the new rank but ran into a snag after buying it. My name turned white and I lost permissions to most everything including talking in chat or even joining a chat channel. Also cannot use any /trail commands. I'm guessing its just a permissions mix up just wanted to let you know, its no fun not being able to even talk lol.

So if you are reading this and thinking about buying new rank at this current time, be aware you will lose permissions and not be able to use rank yet.

#2 Exavious, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. BSPiotr_backup

BSPiotr_backup Overseer

I'll take a look in a bit, must have been a simple typo.

Seems to be working for me... hmm.... may need to test it again :)

#3 BSPiotr_backup, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
  4. Exavious

Exavious Forum Legend

Thank you for fixing it :)

5. BSPiotr_backup

BSPiotr_backup Overseer

Just an update: I'm very close to releasing the mayor update, just need to test a few things first.

The sign is ALMOST ready, but DONT touch it. You will cry. Also it'll make fun of you if you do.

• Like Like x 1