Techteller's Apprentice Builder Application

Discussion in 'Builders' started by TechTeller, Aug 18, 2017.

?

Is this build worthy of the Apprentice Builder rank?

Poll closed Sep 1, 2017.
  1. Yes

83.3%
  2. No

16.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TechTeller

TechTeller Forum Legend

1. What is your ingame name?
    TechTeller

2. What is your current Builder rank?
    Novice Builder

3. Are you the only Builder on this project?
    Yes

4. What are the coordinates to your project (Optionally /sw coordinates)? Are there any nearby nether portals?
    x: -390, y:54, z: -2151
    (/sw coordinates: x: -48, z: -268)
    There are no nearby portals.

5. Post at least 2 pictures of your plot.
    Click here for the imgur album.

I would love to hear any constructive criticism. :)

2. Blakethecrafter

Blakethecrafter Survival Staff

I like the idea of your build, but I voted no. The reason I did this was because there wasn't as much detail as I think there could be. I like the materials you used, but maybe do some sort of design with the walls instead of simply placing paintings.

• Like Like x 1
  3. _Beep_

_Beep_ Survival Staff
    Staff Member

I went to see your build and I ran around it and on top of it, and around the outside of it, studying it for quite some time. I even turned to google to find other examples of what you've built, to compare a little bit. Initially I thought the walls were quite bare (Much like Blake has said above), and that maybe more could have been done with them, but then having googled other examples I can't see that the bare walls are out of place particularly. That said, the wall you face when stood at the podium I feel could do with some pattern built into/onto the wall.

I um'ed and er'ed about the build for ages, should I give it a yes or a no, weighing up my praise and criticism of the build. I decided to vote yes, because:
    • It is a nice build, the palette is good.
    • It's a good size for what it draws it design from
    • Most walls inside look as if they fit very well (the wooden beams going up to the roof and the set back windows for instance)
    • The build's got good depth
    • I like it, I think it's a great build.
    However, I do have some things that I feel might be worth mentioning, and maybe considering (For future :) ),
    • There are a couple walls that I feel could have been decorated better. That one wall you face as you stand at the podium and the walls leading to the stairs (Though I appreciate they were only 1 block thick walls)
    • The top of the tower could potentially have had a different floor colour, rather than just that of the walls.

Good luck with your application, Tech! :D

- Beep

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. BC519

BC519 Active Member

I'm a simple guy.
    I like straight forward designs.
    This is a decent straight forward build.

I've seen a whole hell of a lot worse get promo'd in my time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. FunkyHippo

FunkyHippo New Member

I'm going to have to vote no.

The build has a nice structure, and the design looks quite nice. I like the block palette that you used too.
    The roof design looks great. I love the use of the slabs and such.

However, I have to agree with what Blake said. There are a LOT of opportunities for detail that you missed. For example:
    - The doorway is extremely plain. It's just a two-block hole in the front; why not decorate it with more bloc
    ks and make it stand out more?
    - The exterior walls, while they are simplistic, get repetitive and boring after a while. All I see are white squares and brown lines. There isn't a whole lot of depth or detail.
    - The interior is very bland as well. While paintings are a nice option for decor, they shouldn't be the only thing that you use to decorate the inside. There's a lot of open space on the walls that could have been used with custom-made decorations, not just items that the game provides.

In general, it's a little too plain for me. For the exterior, you can use a LOT more blocks than just wood logs and white concrete/stained clay. (I can't tel from the pictures)
    For the interior, try creating your own decorations rather than just scattering the wall with paintings.

Good luck with your application!

6. Death_Witch

Death_Witch Survival Staff

I still think the exit wall looks bare :)
    but i like it. :p

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dzyriq

Dzyriq Just another humble Overseer

Gz Tech

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.