No Man's Sky. A Game Finally Bigger Than Minecraft

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by IllusionIte_, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Greenjuice

Greenjuice Member

Probably both.

2. IllusionIte_

IllusionIte_ Active Member

This is actually good for me to know because i am a science fan.

• Like Like x 1
  3. eightnine

eightnine Active Member

This... game. This game. THIS GAME.

I originally did not plan to pick this title up on release day. I thought, "Better wait for the reviews to roll in." However, a buddy convinced me to pre-order it so that we get the extra DLC (the bonus ship) and hopefully meet up early on in the game for some good 'ol exploration. As we know now, meeting up isn't a thing. It's a single player game. The first warning should have been the download size. The game is a mere 2.5gb. As any of us know from downloading games, the art assets are what comprise most of a game's size. With so few different textures available, random generation or not, you're going to see all it has to offer way too soon. Anyway, by now most of us have seen the trainwreck reviews of this one.

There is hope, though. Modders have been ripping through the code and have started molding the game to what they want and I think that's where the success story is going to be for this one. Hello Games has been a no show on the modding tools they talked about, but that hasn't stopped the community from going at it anyway. They've changed some of the core annoying gameplay mechanics and are exploring deeper into the code to add features missing in the retail release and some new ones that people have been requesting. So that's exciting.

Wait for a sale. A deep, deep sale. Like, $15 if there's nothing else you want.

Edit: I'd also like to refer you to a pretty fun space game called Elite Dangerous. It is constantly being updated to include more features, has incredible ship controls and is totally fun. Way more deserving of your dollar, in my opinion.

#43 eightnine, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. BC519

BC519 Active Member

Well... news is, if you are disappointed by this game Steam and PSN are both giving out refunds.
    Google it and check reddit too.

The company is probably not going to be able to release games after this.
    To hell with them.

• Like Like x 1
  5. eightnine

eightnine Active Member

They're not, unfortunately.

http://www.pcgamer.com/no-mans-sky-refunds/

Seems that was just wishful thinking

6. Lego90210

Lego90210 Active Member

He's right, there ain't no revers lever on this hype train... no brakes either.

7. BC519

BC519 Active Member

The massive amounts of performance issues, the failure to deliver promised content. I think that's requisite reason to return it.

8. Neddzy

Neddzy Forum Legend

Read the steam Refund policy.
    "Valve will automatically refund any game for any reason only if “the request is made within fourteen days of purchase, and the title has been played for less than two hours.”

Which is more than enough time to realise its awfulness and request a refund.

9. eightnine

eightnine Active Member

Normally, I'd completely agree with you, but I feel like there are extenuating circumstances with this title that should be considered. I don't see how video games should be held less accountable for false advertising, theft by deception or any other of a number of terms that basically sum up to straight up lying or misleading the consumer about a product in order to secure their purchase and knowing full well that the time required to see what a mess it is voids the refundability. I totally get that Steam (or any other distributor) can't be expected to eat the cost of refunding all requests, but I do believe that Hello Games should be held accountable directly. I think we've all seen the thread about what the devs told us it was and what we were ultimately delivered.

Funny thing is, I bet you that if they were straight up with us (gamers as a whole) about the condition of the game and what the plans were for getting it to where it needed to be, it would have soared in ratings as a game with vision. Consider the game ARK for comparison. They straight up told us "Listen, it's not done, it's buggy as a dog in a flea circus, but this is our plans for the future and this is where we want it to go," priced it appropriately, and that game was straight up rough at release, but the devs stuck to it, made good on their roadmap and today, while still not 'finished', it's an incredible piece.

We've made progress, though. I remember a time when any kind of refund once you broke the cellophane was absolutely impossible. So is the outrage a result of our general feeling of entitlement or should we be content that there is at least some sort of refund under certain conditions?

Edit: $60 is a lot for some people. Kids especially. It might be the only game they get for months, maybe all year. This isn't the first game to make grandiose claims only to later renege on them. Maybe if developers were held to some sort of a standard other than their promise, we'd stop getting broken games on release and poor ports. I think overall it can be boiled down into a discussion about the industry as a whole. We shouldn't be saying "Ah well. It's day 1 of release. Totally okay that it doesn't work as described on the tin. They'll patch it eventually."

#49 eightnine, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. BC519

BC519 Active Member

You are 100% correct.

Look at Day Z, Ark, hell even Minecraft.

Hello Games did the exact opposite of what is working now.
    They could of released a wonderful beta game and worked WITH the community instead being accused of deception.

I had so much hope for this game.
    Guess not being able to afford this game was a blessing in disguise.

- Reid Hoffman