After all of the delays with Bukkit and the new version of Minecraft Server (1.5_02) at long last we are now finally back up to speed, all our key plugins have been updated and a number have been added along with a few key play related changes to the server.
Plugins and Updates
Minecraft Server 1.5_02
Bukkit Build #740
The key changes to the server are as follows, we have removed NPC shop keepers because when the server is busy with many players using the NPC’s this caused server crashes, effecting gameplay for all so until further notice NPC’s are removed from Minecraft Server, we are currently investigating adding another shop related plugin and will begin testing soon.
All Veteran status players use of Magic Carpet has been removed, this plugin was originally intended as an admin / mod plugin to be used for removal of 1×1 pillars and other sky related grief. In place and more in keeping with the feel of the game, all Veterans can when wearing a gold helmet now breathe underwater.
A long term vision for the server is removal of warps, these are to be replaced with our developing subway system and Stargates both allowing for fast travel, in my personal opinion they offer a more natural way to explore our world however warps will remain during the transition period. Plenty of notice will be given before they are removed.
Finally we have added another core plugin to our setup called Minecart Mania. After much testing on the temporary map after the last Minecraft update it was decided that minecarts and tracks be allowed back into the game, providing we have a server wide ability to remove empty carts, Minecart Mania gives us this ability amongst others. On the live map so far they are no longer causing an issue with either crashing or lag.
I have also had a number of requests to extend the building competition due to the length of time we had with a temporary map, the competition will be extended and a news updated will be posted in full on the matter.
Well Minecraft v1.5 Beta has been rolled out this afternoon, so far it seems good with no show stopping early update bugs to report. Minecraft Server has been updated to the latest server version to support the new beta v1.5 client, you can expect a temporary map until Bukkit and key protection plugins are updated, this I expect to be soon as the Bukkit dev team seem to be on the ball with each new release. Quotes from the man himself below as to the changes that you have to look forward to in this update!
* Weather (rain, snow, thunder)
* Detector rail
* Booster rail
* Performance improvements
More statistics and achievements will be added over time as we develop the game. They’re only stored locally at the moment, but we’ll slowly be rolling out online storing of achievements over time.
Update In Detail:
- Added Weather (rain, snow, thunder)
- Added Statistics and Achievements
- New Items (Detector rail, Power Rail, Birch and Spruce Saplings)
- Holding SHIFT+Click on something in a chest will immediately drag the selected item(s) into your inventory and vice-versa.
- Birch and Spruce trees now drop Birch and Spruce saplings, respectively
- Performance improvements
- Crafting a ladder now produces 2 ladders
- If a lightning hits a pig, it becomes a Zombie Pigman
- A pig set on fire will drop cooked porkchops.
- New settings in options:
- Ability to change GUI size (Small, Normal, Large, Auto)
- Advanced OpenGL (For higher-end graphics cards)
- Climbing a ladder with gaps will not work anymore, but moving downwards is still possible.
- On fancy graphics, the sides of grass blocks are now biome-specific and match the shade on the top.
- You can now move through flowing water at previous speed.
- Wolves have a better understanding of doors. (Wolves can go through double doors most of the time but they might still get trapped.)
- The lighting on portals and ice has been fixed (previously had triangles on the blocks) when using Smooth Lighting.
Our dear Moderator Dzyriq has graciously opened up a ventrillo server for the rest of us!
You are welcome to come join and chat with the rest of your fellow Minecrafters.
There are just a few simple rules:
1) No Voice Spamming / No Synth / No Harassment / This is not your personal soundboard (i.e no Balls ‘O Steel)
2) Follow all server rules and listen to Moderators and Admins
3) /Ban is still the easiest command
4) You must be online, on the Minecraft Server, in order to be on Vent. (Vets, Donators, Mods & Admins are exempt if the server is not full) If you aren’t, expect a kick, if not a ban.
5) When you first join, you will be as a guest – just poke one of the admins and they’ll set you up so that you can move around to your level of freedom
6) Poor behavior will not be tolerated – a ban on the server will be a ban in the vent server, and visa versa.
So come on in and talk to your fellow friends!
Minecraft 1.5 Beta should be released next week, my guess is 14th April based upon past relsease schedules. It looks like finally Minecraft will get statistics and achievements with this next relase, personally I am unsure of what the stats and achievements will bring to the multiplayer Minecraft experience which is basically the ultimate sandbox experience. However they may add a much needed source of direction for the single player experience.
Quote from Notch “We’ve been working on finishing up Achievements and Statistics for 1.5, I ran into some issues with JSON, got frustrated, and added weather instead. Developing new features like that is what I enjoy doing the most, so I ended up covering a lot of ground.”
Minecraft Beta 1.4_01 has just been released so far it appears the only change is the removal of the April Fool’s joke. I will report any other changes here once know if any are present. It appears the minecraft server has also been updated to 1.4_01.
Bug Fix Update:
- Wolves can now walk through open door.
- Beds now act as a respawn point as intended.
Minecraft Server Updates and Plugin Versions:
- McMyAdmin 0.9.0.6 Professional to 0.9.1.0
- Minecraft Server v1.3 to v1.4 to v1.4_01
- Bukkit from 557 to 617
- HeroChat v4.7.6 to v4.8.6 to v4.8.7 to v4.8.9 to v4.8.11
- AntiBuild v1.3.1
- Magic Carpet v1.4.5 to v1.5.2 to v1.5.3
- BorderGuard Lite v2.20 to v2.40
- Lockette v1.3.3 to v1.3.4
- Vanish v1.5 to v1.5.2
- LogBlock v0.10 to v0.11 to v0.11b
- HeroicDeath v1.7.2
- Essentials build Dev 2.0.867 to 2.1.12 to 2.1.15 to 2.1.17 to 2.1.18 to 2.1.19 to 2.1.20
The other key plugins we are waiting for will be added as the individual plugin developers update, once all our standard plugins have been added we will bring the old map back online, until then please enjoy the temp map and be safe in the knowledge all your hard work is safe and sound! I will update this post as plugins are added back to minecraft server.